When kids are out-door, with exposed skin, they are at greater risk for the bites of mosquitos. Mosquitoes usually bite at areas like ankles, neck and hands. The bites cause uncomfortable swelling and itching. It can be difficult for babies to deal with them particularly when it is a young infant and unable to communicate.
Mosquitoes may cause serious diseases to your baby. Therefore it is suggested to take precautions and keep the baby protected in every manner. Several following proactive measures can be taken into consideration so that you don’t have to hibernate indoors to stay mosquito free. All you need to do is to be a little careful and keep your babies away from the mosquito bites in every sense and manner.
Precautions to protect babies from mosquito bites:
- Dress your baby properly that cover their arms, legs, head and feet. Choose loose clothing to prevent mosquito bites.
- In order to ensure another barrier, cover your kid with a light weight blanket.
- Spray mosquito repellent on your hand and apply it lightly over the baby’s clothing to create another coating against mosquitoes.
- Make your baby sit in a car seat or a stroller and place mosquito netting over him/her to keep mosquitoes away from him.
- Change the clothing of the baby as soon as you are back indoors.
- One of the ways to keep indoors away from mosquitoes is to get your house magic door screens and magnetic window screen. It allows your toddlers to move freely in and out. At the same time, you do not need to worry about closing the door again and again. These screens have magnets that make sure that the screen is properly packed as soon as the things or person goes through it.
It must be well kept in mind that remedies that work for the adults may not be safe to be used for the babies. Special precautions need to be taken while treating mosquito bites on babies and infants.
Instructions while treating mosquito bites:
- Clean the affected area with warm, soapy water. This will not only soothe the baby but it will also remove any kind of blood that would have been left by the mosquito bite.
- In order to stop itching, apply Calamine lotion to the bitten area.
- In case lotion is not available, create a thick paste of water with baking soda. Apply small amount of this paste to the affected area.
- To minimize the swelling and itching, apply a cold wash to that area.
- Icepack works well as well. It will reduce the discomfort. But make sure that the ice is not too cold for the baby. To do this, wrap a wash cloth or a towel around the ice pack.
- Cut the fingernails of the baby so that he may not scratch the bite open. Mosquito bites that are bloody are prone to be getting infected. Moreover scratching may also cause bacteria from the nails of the baby to get in to the bite. Clipping the nails will prevent the baby from getting a scar as well.
- Monitor the bite for almost 24 hours. Check the affected area for excessive drainage and swelling. As long as the baby appears to be uneasy, keep on applying lotion and cold wash cloths. Bites take weeks to disappear completely from the skin so do not worry.
- In case the swelling and itching continues then one must consult a physician.
In short, it is better to protect children by taking precautionary measures rather than worrying about treating the mosquito bites.
Written By Shaoxing Genan Trade Co., Ltd
- Protect Baby From Mosquito Bite
- 10 Methods to Treat Mosquito Bites On Babies
- Mosquito Sources Around Your Home